Tuesday, February 25th
Texas A&M AgriLife Center (600 John Kimbrough Blvd, College Station)
WELCOME (8:15 a.m.)
Bhimu Patil, Director – Vegetable & Fruit Improvement Center
R. Daniel Lineberger, Department Head – Department of Horticultural Sciences
David Drews, Chair, Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center Advisory Board
Jon Mogford, Vice Chancellor for Research, Texas A&M University System
Remarks: Craig Nessler, Director – Texas A&M AgriLife Research
. . .
Scientific Advances in Produce for Health
“The Rational Un-Fattening of America’s Families: Can We Get There from Here?”
David Katz – MD, MPH, FACPM, FACP [Bio]
Director and Co-Founder, Yale Prevention Research Center; ABC News Medical Consultant; Director & Founder, Integrative Medicine Center, Derby, Connecticut
. . .
“Green with Envy: Cancer Prevention by Chlorophyll-rich Foods”
Rod Dashwood, Director, Center for Epigenetics & Disease Prevention, Institute of Bioscience and Technology, Houston [Bio]
. . .
Reflections from former Students of VFIC (10:30-11:00)
Remarks: Alan Sams, Executive Associate Dean, Texas A&M AgriLife and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Former students will reflect their career success (5 min each).
JAY MORRIS – PhD 2002–07: UT Health Science Center, San Antonio
JOSE PEREZ – MS 2005–07: USDA-ARS
JAIRAM VANAMALA – PhD 2001–04: Penn State University
MONICA PINARTE – BS 2010–12: United Allergy Services . . .
Remarks-William “Bill” Dugas, Interim Vice Chancellor and Dean, Texas A&M AgriLife and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Jimmie Bassetti, CEO and President, J&D Produce and Co-Chair, Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Advisory Board
Keynote: The Honorable Susan Combs, Texas State Comptroller
. . .
AFTERNOON SESSION (1-3 p.m.)
Improving Our Health: How Research can Help Increase Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables
Industry Round Table Discussion
Remarks-Douglas Steele, Director, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
Industry Roundtable Discussion
John Sauve, Managing Partner, Food and Wellness Group, Portland, Maine [Bio]
- Charles Arnot, Chief Executive Officer, Center for Food Integrity, Gladstone, Missouri [Bio]
- “Ethics, Values and Science – Finding a Balance to Build Trust”
- Elizabeth Pivonka, President and Chief Executive Officer, Produce for Better Health Foundation, Hockessin, Delaware [Bio]
- Gaps in Research: What We Still Need to Know to Help Increase Fruit/Vegetable Consumption”
- Anita Jones-Mueller, President and Chief Executive Officer, Healthy Dining Finder, San Diego, California [Bio]
- “Restaurant Industry Health Initiatives to Increase Fruit and Vegetable Intake”
- Emiliano Escobedo, Executive Director, Hass Avocado Board, Irvine, California [Bio]
- “Hass Avocado Board, Invested in the Category’s Success: Nutrition Research and Marketing Strategy”
- Linda Eatherton, Partner/Director, Global Food & Nutrition Practice, Ketchum Inc., Chicago, Illinois [Bio]
- “Consumers’ Point of View on Fruit and Vegetables and Their Growing Desire for Information”
- Michael J. Wargovich, PhD, FACN – Professor of Molecular Medicine, Cancer Center Council Distinguished Chair in Oncology, CTRC and UTHSCSA [Bio]
- “Pioneers in Prevention of Cancer: Working with VFIC”
- Richard Kreider, PhD, FACSM, FISSM – Professor and Head, Thomas A. and Joan Read Endowed Chair for Disadvantaged Youth – Director, Exercise & Sport Nutrition Lab, Department of Health & Kinesiology, Texas A&M University [Bio]
- “Role of Fruits and Vegetables in Sports Medicine and Athletic Performance”
- Sekhar Boddupalli, PhD, Global Consumer Research and Development Lead, Monsanto [Bio]
- “Vegetable Breeding for Grower and Consumer: Field to Fork”
. . .
POSTER SESSION (4-5 p.m.)
Christopher’s World Grille (5001 Boonville Road, Bryan, 979-776-2181)
6:30 – Social
7:00 – Banquet
Wednesday, February 26th
VFIC Open House (8:30 – 11:00 a.m.)
1500 Research Parkway, Bldg A., Room 120 (Texas A&M Research Park)
An excellent opportunity for stakeholders to observe the research products developed by the interdisciplinary scientists.